Based on the 2015 Census of Population and Housing, there were 7.5 million senior citizens, or persons aged 60 and above, in the Philippines. The United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs projects that, by 2032, the Philippines will be identified as one of the countries with an ageing population, as the proportion of persons aged 65 and above to the total population is projected to exceed 7.0 percent. Senior citizens tend to have higher prevalence of various medical diseases and comorbidities. Moreover, they are less economically active compared to younger age groups. Thus, this projected increase in the number of senior citizens entails greater support needed in terms of health care and income security for the elderly. In response to this, the government has been enacting various legislations and implementing various social protection programs for senior citizens. Among the following are the mandatory PhilHealth coverage for all senior citizens, Social Security System/Government Service Insurance System retirement benefits and pension for those previously involved in the formal economy, or through the social pension program for indigent senior citizens.
This publication has been cited 17 times
- Angara, Sonny. 2019. Social pension and our senior citizens. BusinessMirror.
- Casayuran, Mario. 2022. Villanueva bill to give elderly jobseekers a break. Manila Bulletin.
- Chanco, Boo. 2019. Senior Moments. Philippine Star.
- Daily Tribune. 2022. Firms urged to hire seniors. Daily Tribune.
- DailyGuardian. 2020. PH ageing population requires more budget for UHC Act—PIDS study. DailyGuardian.
- Department of Labor and Employment. 2020. ILS participates in PIDS webinar addressing needs of PH Senior Citizens. Institute for Labor Studies, Department of Labor and Employment.
- Gonzales, Iris. 2022. No country for old men. Philippine Star.
- Luna, Franco. 2020. Add to cart: Discounts for seniors, PWDs in online shops. Philippine Star.
- Luna, Franco. 2021. Complaint filed vs DSWD, DTI over 'inaction' on online privilege guidelines for PWD, seniors. Philippine Star.
- Luna, Franco. 2020. Local governments reminded to let seniors leave home for essential trips, allowed activities. Philippine Star.
- Luna, Franco. 2020. Senior citizens need greater social protection, health services during COVID-19 pandemic — think tank . Philippine Star.
- Ordinario, Cai. 2019. Study cites limits of social protection perks for women. BusinessMirror.
- PhilStar. 2021. DSWD warns public vs groups taking fees for PWD, senior IDs. Philippine Star.
- RadyoMaN Manila . 2022. Panukalang itaas sa P1,000 ang social pension ng maralitang senior citizens, siguradong lulusot sa Senado. RMN Network.
- Senate of the Philippines. 2022. Villanueva urges private companies to hire senior citizens. Senate of the Philippines.
- Tan, Alyssa Nicole. 2022. Bill offering incentives for hiring seniors filed. BusinessWorld.
- Quimbo, Stella Luz. 2020. House Bill 6037: An act institutionalizing a ten percent budgetary allocation of barangays for the implementation of programs, projects, activities, and services for senior citizens, amending for the purpose the pertinent provisions of Republic Act No. 7160 otherwise known as the "Local Government Code" and for other purposes. House of Representatives.