Health human resource (HHR) is critical in the delivery of health care services. However, the available evidences on their geographic distribution and availability remain quite limited in the scope of cadres studied, i.e., mostly physicians, and in global reach, i.e., mainly in English-speaking developed countries. This paper aims to bridge this gap in the literature by assessing the supply of a broader set of health care workers in the Philippines, and analyzing the different factors that affect their location decision. Similar to other countries, there are indications that HHRs in the Philippines are more likely to locate in regions where their earnings potential may be greatest and in proximity to communities where they were trained. However, there is no empirical support that HHRs from ethnolinguistic minorities are more likely to work in areas with higher ethnic concentrations. Large disparities in HHR density that is masked by national-level statistics was also documented. Indeed, data over the last twenty-five years show increasing polarization in the spatial distribution across all cadres of HHRs in the Philippines.
This publication has been cited 14 times
- Angara, Sonny. 2022. Bringing better health care to our people. BusinessMirror.
- Angara, Sonny. 2022. Bringing better healthcare to our people. Panay News.
- Angara, Sonny. 2022. Bringing better healthcare to our people. Manila Bulletin.
- Boo Chanco . 2020. Health frontliners. Philippine Star.
- Cepeda, Mara. 2020. House OKs bill on medical scholarship and return service program. Rappler.
- Laforga, Beatrice. 2020. Medical ‘brain dead’ comes back to haunt virus-stricken Philippines. BusinessWorld.
- Macaraeg, Pauline. 2020. About 75% of cities, towns in the Philippines lack health workers. Rappler.
- Orange Magazine . 2022. Medical Depot’s CSR Initiatives address high demand for Medical Supplies in the PH. Orange Magazine .
- Ordinario, Cai. 2020. Migration and low passing rate in board exam push dentists, eye doctors on ‘aging’ list – PIDS study. BusinessMirror.
- Panay News. 2020. Uneven distribution of health workers. Panay News.
- Panay News . 2021. More healthcare workers needed. Panay News.
- Panay News. 2022. Maldistribution of healthcare workers. Panay News.
- Retona, Merinette. 2020. SONA 2019 promise tracker: Social services. Vera Files.
- Ventura, Dinah. 2022. Wellness wagon. Tribune.